The book cover was made from dark greyboard, reflecting the ash and dark covered landscape. I then silkscreened the type of the cover. The book was bound with an exposed spine.
Some selected spreads
Brief: design four letters that reflect the Bath Spa, Art and Design School. My design was chosen, see below for final Logo and designs
logo elements can be used for further mailer promotion etc.
Often people are asked, “Where is Bath?” I created a simple map using textured elements.
My designs implemented at the UCAS design fair
Staying late at university, I decided to project my participation projection, the triangles rotated/moved to a microphone input: sound produced by people, cars, airplanes, and bird noises, creating new and different patterns. I filmed the projection, these are some of the screen shots. I was inspired to do this after reading about a 1920’s hooter symphony orchestra in Russia where a conductor operating from the rooftop signaled to engine and horns as well as an exhibit called memory wall which reacted to clothes worn by people walking past. found here
Once I had established a method for the illustration and created a pattern, I started to think about how the illustrations could be used for promotion and their application.
My idea was to incorporate the patterns onto items and objects, and create a room set-up to demonstrate this. The idea being that a fan could create their own pattern and then get this printed onto a product.
This image is a sketch of the room layout I planned.
First task=wallpaper. I drew out each frame of the song “intermission” and then placed it onto wallpaper strips. This image show a test made-up of a3 pages.
Once the test was complete I then got the sequence printed onto wallpaper.
Some close-ups of the printed wallpaper
Design used for Mug
Frames from Pocket calculator sequence
photogram using combs to represent a body figure. The chemical effects have been created where the photogram was not washed properly and has left behind fixer making it go sepia. The photogram was then enhanced to saturate the colours and then the whole photogram was inverted to create the blue tones.